Geriatric Care is the process of care in making sure that the elderly meet their long-term care needs and ensure that they live life to the fullest. This type of care is same in process with most caregiving approaches but with different steps since the elderly have a different set of physical and mental needs. Safety, well-being, hygiene, and security are the main principles in geriatric care. In doing so, there are important tips that we can take note to make sure that we are doing the right thing at home.
- Metabolism poses a great challenge to our elderly, they are at high risk for malnutrition or obesity. During this stage, they are likely to develop diabetes or any cardiovascular-related diseases and possibly cancer. The caregiver should encourage exercise often if not daily.
- The most leading cause of disability for the elderly is arthritis, it affects almost all adults. Managing weight is one solution for arthritis. Since it is already inevitable to the elder population, what we can only do is make sure that we can lessen the pain. Their weight plays a great role in arthritis pain.
- Low bone mass or also commonly called as osteoporosis affects most of the elderly women. Contrary to common knowledge, osteoporosis is not part of aging, healthy lifestyle and exercise can minimize if not eliminate the possibility of osteoporosis.
- The elderly need assistance in mobilization. This age group is at high risk of falls and injuries. We need to make sure that we educate them on how to avoid falls, better yet to call for assistance when needing to move or do something.
- Always make sure that they get enough calcium and vitamin D. These are necessary for maintaining a healthy bone structure. Healthy diet all the time and proper exercise.
- Take note of signs of diminished vision and hearing. Other seniors may not verbalize these defects thinking that these are normally part of old age. This has to be noted so that we can estimate their capacity.
- Mental health is one of the challenges in taking care of an elderly. Their memory may not be as good as it used to be but there are actions that can be done to assure that these can be minimized.
All of these listed have to be taken care of when serving the needs of an elderly loved one, that is the reason why families consult professional help.
Edmacy Home Health Care a Home Health Agency in Darby, Pennsylvania offers geriatric care service in the comfort of your own home. We are a reliable provider of Home Care Services in Pennsylvania, we match our professional caregivers with your needs. We always want to make sure that care in all aspects have been met.
You can set an appointment with us so we can thoroughly assess the type of help you need. Please call 484-494-6070 for more information and concerns.